Looking for a good way to give back to our community?
Join us and fellow neighbours as we tackle issues, solve problems and find ways to strengthen our local community. Here are some of the areas that we are involved with:
- Primary Schools
- Primary School Speech Competitions - this is an annual event that encourages primary school children in Grades 5 and 6 to prepare and deliver a short speech in a safe forum. We now have 11 local primary schools participating!
- Schools ANZAC Day Commemoration Service - the Schools ANZAC Service has been run by the Rotary Club of Templestowe since 1990!
- Our Youth
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA) - this is an intensive 6 day leadership experience organized by Rotary clubs and districts where we develop skills in youth as leaders while having fun and making connections.
- Rotary Youth Program of Enrichment (RYPEN) - this usually is a weekend camp designed to develop their potential through a mixture of team-building sessions and adventure-based learning.
- Rotary Model United Nations Assembly (MUNA) - this program is to encourage young people to learn about other countries and to develop an understanding of the workings of the United Nations. Delegates will also develop debating skills, gain self-confidence in public speaking and leadership skills.
- National Youth Science Forum (NYSF) - this forum is held over a two week period in Canberra during January and provides Year 11 students with the opportunity to test-drive careers in science, engineering and related disciplines.
- Rotary Youth Exchange Program (YEP) - this provides secondary school students aged 15 to 17, sponsored by a Rotary Club, with the opportunity to live and study abroad with host families for one academic year, to learn a new language, a new way of living and a great deal about themselves.
- Community Care
- Doncare Community Care have a great number of programs that support and assist the community of Manningham. Our members contribute to the financial support for several Doncare programs in particular iMatter, Back to School and Social Support, and volunteer with their ongoing Food Pantry program and their Annual Toy Giving.
- Odyssey House provides long-term, intensive residential treatment for individuals and families that are suffering from drug and alcohol addiction. Our members have provided support to Odyssey House since its inception in 1980 and has assisted in improving some of the site’s facilities. Each year, we also provide a Christmas BBQ for residents and their families.
- The Onemda Association is a centre for learning and therapeutic development for people with a disability. Our club has run regular fundraising events to support Onemda in their good work that they do.
- Community Spirit
- Manningham Family Festival - this annual event has been running since 2004 and features kids' attractions, over 120 entertainers, and 50 community and craft stalls. A fun day for all the family, even the dog!
- Community infrastructure - our club has a long history of participating in building community infrastructure such as:
- "Before I Die" Walls
- Finns Reserve Shelter
- Templestowe War Memorial
- Doncaster Hill Market - this community market aims to connect local producers, businesses and community groups with Manningham residents. Launched in November 2020, we run this market on the first Sunday of every month with the Rotary Club of Doncaster.